Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Interview with one of the hardest working vocalists in LA, Lisa Margaroli

 

LisaS_thumb[5]

By: Lisa “Sunshine” Svelnys

LA Rock Correspondent- Xombiewoof Magazine

Host- Hollywood Rock Underground TV

 

 

1235974_10153249285025285_693592306_nLisa Margaroli is one of the most hardworking lead vocalists in LA, her performances are memorable and her voice originates from the soul, is “spot on” and drives a stage presence that is soulful, beautiful, yet powerful and enveloping.

Lisa is currently involved in three different projects, as the lead singer of Celebrity Trash, which is a badass hard rock/metal tribute/cover band that also does "trashed" up hard rock arrangements of pop songs.

She is also the lead singer (Linda) in Different Drum, a Linda Ronstadt Tribute Band, and is also working on a side solo project with Mark Hudson, Grammy Award winning songwriter (Aerosmith's Living on the Edge)& producer (Aerosmith, Ringo Starr, Ozzy, Bon Jovi, etc.).

Where were you born and raised?

556342_557690534280170_21268721_n

Long Island, NY and moved to LA in October of 2009. I came out to visit a friend in the Spring of 2009 and was hooked. Once I landed in sunny CA, walked the Sunset Strip and hung out at the beach, I knew this was where I was meant to be.

Music came into my life from the beginning. My parents are fans of all kinds of music and constantly had everything from Beethoven to Sinatra to Earth, Wind & Fire playing in my house growing up. We used to go to concerts & shows in the parks back in Long Island, NY and took trip into NYC to see Broadway shows. As a kid I wanted to be 3 things: a Broadway star, Debbie Gibson & Mariah Carey. I remember singing in mirrors with hair brushes and making my own music videos.

I always sang in school choirs, played the flute in the band & orchestra and took piano lessons. As I got to high school, I expanded into music theory classes and performed in musicals. I went to see shows & concerts as much as I could. I saw everyone from The Beach Boys to Slayer!

I current am the lead singer of Celebrity Trash, which is a badass hard rock/metal tribute/cover band that also does "trashed" up hard rock arrangements of pop songs,. I also am the lead singer (Linda) in Different Drum, a Linda Ronstadt Tribute Band.

What did you do after High School?

7249_460100027416278_623823573_nI went to Hofstra University in NY and got a BS in Music Business. I was lucky enough to intern at Epic/Sony Records, the Metropolitan Opera and with RPM Music, which is Tony Bennett's management office. I also worked several years at Atlantic Records in NY in International production & promotion. I have a few favorite stage moments. My first is singing Mozart's Requiem at Carnegie Hall while in college. That piece is a glorious monster. To sing something so gorgeous on such an iconic stage with a full orchestra was surreal. I got to tour the country in a 1940s big band show called In the Mood, and got to sing some of the most timeless standards while honoring the veterans of WWII. Meeting so many vets and hearing how our show brought back so many wonderful memories touched my heart. My last favorite moment was getting to sing for and with Steven Tyler in a small rehearsal room in North Hollywood. It was at a Rock N Roll Fantasy Camp, and I sang Pink with my band for Steven and he jumped in on some harmonies. I'm so lucky to have even more amazing memories and experiences to share. Too many to list!

Who has influenced you most in music?

_MG_8018I'm a huge Aerosmith fan. I remember listening to my brother's Pump cassette tape in 1990 and memorizing every song.  “ What it Takes” ripped out my heart, and still continues to be one of my favorite songs to listen to or sing. I've since seen Aerosmith live over 50 times, and met Steven a few times as well.

Whom else in the history of music have helped develop your style and drive?

My biggest musical influences are Steven Tyler, Ann Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, Phillip Bailey of Earth Wind & Fire, and then I have a little bit of Ella Fitzgerald & Jane Monheit in there as well. Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, & Rob Halford. How could I forget my metal Gods? LOL Stevie Nicks, Cher, Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes, Grace Slick, Frankie Valli, the Andrews Sisters, the Manhattan Transfer, and Broadway star Patti LuPone.  So many more! :)

Where can we see you next?

_MG_8071This week I'm singing a Heart tune at the Singer's Night at the Federal in NO HO, then singing with The Suspects, opening for Blood, Sweat & Tears at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills on Saturday. New Celebrity Trash show just added! Friday, March 28th at 11PM at Paladino's in Tarzana.

 All my dates and info can be found at:

www.lisamargaroli.com

www.reverbnation.com/lisamargaroli

www.twitter.com/lisamargaroli

www.facebook.com/lisamargarolimusic

Celebrity Trash: www.celebritytrashband.com

www.facebook.com/celebritytrashband

www.reverbnation.com/celebritytrashband

www.twitter.com/CT_TrashU

Different Drum: www.lisamargaroli/linda-tribute

 

Photo Credits:

the Linda Picture: Jeff Galyan www.jeffgalyan.com

The Celebrity Trash shots: Phil Fernandez

The live shot: Alex Bennett


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it Clean - Spam and Reverse Links will be Removed, all comments will be read prior post